Produce Professional Certificate
The Certificate program is maintained in an online learning management system (LMS) providing participants access to course resources and quizzes at their convenience. Course resources include video lectures and PowerPoint handouts, which may serve as a reference for completion of the course quiz. Quizzes vary length and are dependent upon the length of the course. Quizzes may be taken multiple times until a passing grade is earned.
Earning a Produce Professional Certificate from the UC Davis Postharvest Technology Center equips individuals with a set of tools representing all aspects of postharvest handling. Upon completion of the program, participants will have demonstrated knowledge in produce safety, harvesting systems, cooling, packaging, transportation, quality, modified atmospheres and marketing fresh produce in addition to being up-to-speed on current research in these areas.
How the program works
- Enroll in the Produce Professional Certificate program ($2500 enrollment fee).
- Participate in 3 mandatory in-person workshops over the course of 4 years (enrollment fees for individual workshops apply).
- Participate in additional in-person workshops through the Center (workshop fees apply) AND/OR complete online video modules to earn additional points required for certification.
- Pass all course and online module quizzes with a minimum score of 80%.
- Earn 120 points and receive your certificate.
How to earn points
- Mandatory Courses (in-person participation on UC Davis campus required)
- Postharvest Technology Short Course (40 points)
- Produce Safety: A Science-based Framework (20 points)
- Fruit Ripening & Retail Handling (16 points) – Option 1 Fresh-cut Products: Maintaining Quality & Safety (24 points) – Option 2
- Additional Courses and Online Modules
- Postharvest Technology Short Course Field Tour (25 points)
- Methods of Measuring Flavor, Color & Texture (8 points) Emerging Postharvest Technologies (16 points) Online Modules (1 point each)
Registration is easy and may be paid via wire transfer, check, or credit card. To pay by credit card, click on the registration link below. To pay by check or wire transfer, contact the Postharvest Technology Center at email@example.com or 530-752-6941.
Link to a printable brochure (pdf) for the program