Ph.D. (1989), Food Biochemistry Cornell University
Specialist in Cooperative Extension, Fruit and Vegetable Products. Effects of raw material quality and processing on color, flavor, texture and nutritional quality of fruit and vegetable products.
Dr. Barrett's research program addresses the effects of raw material quality and processing on color, flavor, texture and nutritional quality of fruit and vegetable products, with particular emphasis on enzyme-catalyzed reactions which result in qualitative losses. Specific enzymes studied include polyphenol oxidase, lipoxygenase, pectin methylesterase, polygalacturonase, peroxidase and hydroperoxide lyase. Handling and processing technologies of interest include fresh-cut processing, canning, freezing, irradiation, high pressure and aseptic processing. She also directs the Center for Advanced Processing & Packaging.
- Fisklements, M., and D.M. Barrett. 2014. Kinetics of Almond Skin Separation as a Function of Blanching Time and Temperature. Journal of Food Engineering.
- Ngamchuachit, P., H.K. Kivertsen, E.J. Mitcham, and D.M. Barrett. 2014. Effectiveness of Calcium Chloride and Calcium Lactate on Maintenance of Textural and Sensory Qualities of Fresh-cut Mangos. Journal of Food Science.
- Fuentes, A., J.L. Vázquez-Gutiérrez, M.B. Pérez-Gago, E. Vonasek, N. Nitin, and D.M. Barrett. 2014. Application of nondestructive impedance spectroscopy to determination of the effect of temperature on potato microstructure and texture. Journal of Food Engineering 133:16-22.
- Ngamchuachit P., D.M. Barrett, and E.J. Mitcham. 2014. Effects of 1-Methylcyclopropene and Hot Water Quarantine Treatment on Quality of “Keitt” Mangos. Journal of Food Science 79(4):C505–C509.
- Zhang, L., M.A. Schultz, R. Cash, D.M. Barrett, and M.J. McCarthy. 2014. Determination of quality parameters of tomato paste using guided microwave spectroscopy. Food Control 40:214-223.
- Schultz, A.K., G.E. Anthon, S.R. Dungan, and D.M. Barrett. 2014. Effect of Pectin Methylesterase on Carrot (Daucus carota) Juice Cloud Stability. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 62(5):1111–1118.
- Ringeisen, B., D.M. Barrett, and P. Stroeve. 2014. Concentrated Solar Drying of Tomatoes. Energy for Sustainable Development 19:47-55.
- Peng J., J. Tang, D.M. Barrett, S.S. Sablani, and J.R. Powers. 2014. Kinetics of Carrot Texture Degradation under Pasteurization Conditions. Journal of Food Engineering122:84-91.
- Peng, J., J. Tang, Y. Jiao, S.G. Bonet, and D.M. Barrett. 2013. Dielectric properties of tomatoes assisting in the development of microwave pasteurization and sterilization processes. LWT - Food Science and Technology 54(2):367-376.
- Wilkerson E.D., G.E. Anthon, D.M. Barrett, G.F.G. Sayajon, A.M. Santos, and L.E. Rodriguez-Saona. 2013. Rapid Assessment of Quality Parameters in Processing Tomatoes Using Hand-Held and Benchtop Infrared Spectrometers and Multivariate Analysis. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 61:2088-2095.
- Vallone, S., H. Sivertsen, G.E. Anthon, D.M. Barrett, E.J. Mitcham, S. E. Ebeler, and F. Zakharov. 2013. An integrated approach for flavor quality evaluation in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L. reticulates group) during ripening. Food Chemistry 139:171-183.
- Zhang, L., D.M. Barrett and M. McCarthy. 2013. Characterization of the Red Layer and Pericarp of Processing Tomato Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Food Science 78: E50-E55.
- Sirijariyawat A., S. Charoenrein and D.M. Barrett. October 2012. Texture Improvement of Fresh and Frozen Mangoes with Pectin Methylesterase and Calcium Infusion. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 92(13):2581-2586.
- Stiling, J., S. Li, P. Stroeve, J. Thompson, B. Mjawa, K. Kornbluth, and D.M. Barrett. June 2012. Performance evaluation of an enhanced fruit solar dryer using concentrating panels. Energy for Sustainable Development 16(2):224-230.
- Anthon, G.E. and D.M. Barrett. May 2012. Pectin methylesterase activity and other factors affecting pH and titratable acidity in processing tomatoes. Food Chemistry 132(2): 915-920.
- Asavasanti, A., P. Stroeve, D.M. Barrett, J.A. Jernstedt, and W.D. Ristenpart. March/April 2012. Enhanced electroporation in plant tissues via low frequency pulsed electric fields: Influence of cytoplasmic streaming. Biotechnology Progress 28(2):445-453.
- Barrett, D.M., and B. Lloyd. Jan. 2012. Advanced Preservation Methods and Nutrient Retention in Fruits and Vegetables. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 92(1): 7-22.
- Anthon, G.E., M. LeStrange and D.M. Barrett. May 2011. Changes in pH, acids, sugars and other quality parameters during extended vine holding of ripe processing tomatoes. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 91(7):1175-1181.
- Asavasanti, S., W. Ristenpart, P. Stroeve, and D.M. Barrett. Jan./Feb. 2011. Permeabilization of Plant Tissues by Monopolar Pulsed Electric Fields: Effect of Frequency. Journal of Food Science 76(1):E98-E111.
- Ersus, S., M. Oztop, M. McCarthy, and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Disintegration Efficiency of Pulsed Electric Field (PEF) Induced Effects on Onion (Allium cepa L.) Tissues as a Function of Pulse Protocol and Determination of Cell Integrity by 1H NMR Relaxometry. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E444-E452.
- Asavasanti, S., S. Ersus, W. Ristenpart, P. Stroeve, and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Critical Electric Field Strengths of Onion Tissues Treated by Pulsed Electric Fields. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E433-E443.
- Gonzales, M.E., G. Anthon, and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Onion cells after High Pressure and Thermal Processing: Comparison of Membrane Integrity Changes Using Different Analytical Methods and Impact on Tissue Texture. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E426-E432.
- Gonzalez, M.E., D.M. Barrett, M.J. McCarthy, F.J. Vergeldt, E. Gerkema, A.M. Matser, and H. Van As. Sept. 2010. 1H-NMR Study of the Impact of High-Pressure and Thermal Processing on Cell Membrane Integrity of Onions. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E417-425.
- Gonzalez, M.E., J.A. Jernstedt, D.C. Slaughter, and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Influence of Cell Integrity on Textural Properties of Raw, High Pressure, and Thermally Processed Onions. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E409-E416.
- Gonzalez, M.E., J.A. Jernstedt, D.C. Slaughter, and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Microscopic Quantification of Cell Integrity in Raw and Processed Onion Parenchyma Cells. Journal of Food Science 75(7):E402-E408.
- Gonzalez, M.E., and D.M. Barrett. Sept. 2010. Thermal, High Pressure, and Electric Field Processing Effects on Plant Cell Membrane Integrity and Relevance to Fruit and Vegetable Quality. Journal of Food Science 75(7):R121-R130.
- Ersus, S. and D.M. Barrett. August 2010. Determination of membrane integrity in onion tissues treated by pulsed electric fields: Use of microscopic images and ion leakage measurements. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies 11(4):598-603.
Food Science & Technology