Annual Fruit Ripening & Ethylene Management Workshop
March 1-2, 2016
UC Davis ARC Conference Center
Link to 2015 Workshop Brochure (pdf)
Link to Workshop Group Photo
Focus on Ripening & Ethylene Management
This workshop, presented annually by the UC Davis Postharvest Technology Center, is intended for shippers and fruit handlers (wholesale and retail), and produce managers who are involved in handling and ripening fruits and fruit-vegetables. The workshop focuses on how to increase profits by reducing losses at the receiving end, and delivering ready-to-eat, delicious fruits and fruit-vegetables to the consumer.
- Importance of ripening programs
- Ripening fruit and fruit-vegetables
- Ripening facilities & equipment
- Fruit development-ripening
- Maturity and quality relationships
- Biology of ethylene production
- Sensory quality attributes and measurement
- Temperature management
- Retail temperature storage conditions
- Retail displays and handling
- Tools to control ripening and senescence
- Ethylene inhibition and control
- Designing/controlling a ripening program
- Physiological disorders and other losses
- Quality measurements
- Environmental equipment
Enrollment Fees & Deadlines
The 2015 enrollment fee was $825.00 for this 2-day workshop and included all classroom instruction, lab activities, course materials, morning and afternoon coffee breaks, lunches, and an evening mixer. Enrollments were requested by March 9, 2015. Reservations were made on a first paid, first enrolled basis.
If your plans change: Refunds, less an $80 processing fee, will be granted if requested at least seven calendar days before the course begins. At that time, you may also discuss sending a substitute. We reserve the right to discontinue, postpone, or combine classes, and to change instructors. Every effort will be made to notify enrollees of any changes or cancellations.
- Mary Lu Arpaia, CE Specialist, Dept. of Botany & Plant Science, UCR
- Jeff Brecht, Professor, Dept. of Horticultural Sciences, University of Florida
- Christine Bruhn, CE Specialist, Dept. of Food Science & Technology, UCD
- Marita Cantwell, CE Specialist, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UCD
- Roberta Cook, CE Specialist, Dept. of Ag. & Resource Economics, UCD
- Deirdre Holcroft, Holcroft Postharvest Consulting
- Dennis Kihlstadius, Produce Technical Services
- Beth Mitcham, CE Specialist, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UCD
- Michael Reid, Emeritus, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UCD
- Mikal Saltveit, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UCD
- Jim Thompson, Postharvest Engineering LLC, and Emeritus, Dept. of Biological & Agricultural Engineering, UCD
- Florence Zakharov, Professor, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UCD
- and other industry and academic instructors
For More Information
- Accomodations. For Davis hotel information please go to Yolo County Visitor's Guide. For your convenience, we have blocked a number of rooms at the Hyatt Place and the Hallmark Inn. Mention you are with the Postharvest Technology Center's "Fruit Ripening" workshop.
- Parking. There is a daily parking permit fee of $9.00, and permits are available for purchase at kiosks located at the entrance of several nearby UC Davis parking lots.
- Air Travel.The closest airport to Davis is Sacramento International (a 25 minute drive). San Francisco and Oakland International airports are about a 1.5 hour drive. To arrange for transportation between Sacramento airport and Davis, see the Davis Airporter website.
- Visiting Davis. See our Welcome to Davis page and the Yolo County Visitor's Guide.
For more information about the Fruit Ripening & Retail Handling Workshop, we invite you to take a look at our Workshop brochure or contact:
Phone: (530) 752-7672
Enrollment is Easy (2015)
- On Line. Link to our secure online registration site.
- By Mail. Complete the enrollment form on the workshop brochure and send it with your check payable to the "UC Regents" to: Attn: Penny Stockdale, Postharvest Technology Center; Dept. of Plant Sciences MS2; UC Davis; One Shields Avenue; Davis, CA 95616
- By Phone. Call us at (530) 752-6941. Please have your Visa, MasterCard, or American Express account number handy.
- By Fax. Fax your completed enrollment form from the workshop brochure, along with credit card information to: (530) 754-4326.
We thank our 2015 Sponsors!